We’ve created a draft of the Open Space Strategy and we wanted you to be one of the first to hear about it.
In March 2018, we asked you how you use and value your open space. Based on this information, we’ve developed a draft Open Space Strategy and we’d love to hear your thoughts on it. This is a check-in to make sure we are on the right track and haven’t missed anything.
The Open Space Strategy is an important document that will guide the future planning and uses of open spaces in Darebin. It sets a vision for what we want and need in regards to open space in the future and provides the direction and principles to help Council achieve this.
For example, the strategy aims to help Council identify locations where there isn’t enough open space at the moment or where there is a need for a particular type of open space.
The strategy also aims to help Council improve and make the most of the open spaces we already have including how we ensure these spaces can be used for multiple purposes or shared effectively between different groups.
The strategy focuses on three key directions to realise Council’s vision:
- Meeting Community Needs for Open Space
- Enhancing Biodiversity
- Creating Green Streets.
The strategy will categorise parks and identify standards for each category, and a series of strategic policy statements will underpin and guide actions to be performed.
There are a number of ways you can provide feedback on the draft Open Space Strategy:
- Leave comments on the YourSay website
- Drop-in Sessions – Council staff will be at the following locations to hear your thoughts and ideas:
- Northcote Town Hall, (189 High Street Northcote) 6-8pm, Thursday 29 Nov, 2018
- Edwardes Lake, (Griffiths Street Playspace) 10am-12pm, Saturday December 1, 2018
- Contact Alison Breach, Coordinator Public Places and Design on 8470 8516 or Breach@darebin.vic.gov.au
Every piece of feedback is important, so please take a moment and have your say. Consultation will be open until 18 December 2018.