The Victorian Department of Health and Human Services have advised that community gardens are permitted to continue operating, provided that strict physical distancing and safety processes are in place. These protective measures include:
- All community gatherings, socialising, workshops and events are not permitted and members are only to be undertaking activities related to the growing and harvest of fresh food
- Any members, volunteers or other site users are asked not to enter the community garden if they are feeling sick
- While undertaking gardening activities, ensure there is no more than 1 person for every 4 square metres of space and maintain a minimum of 1.5 metre separation between people.
- Adhere to hygiene guidance provided under Actions for Organisations, including providing and promoting sanitizers for use by people entering the garden, clean and disinfect high touch surfaces regularly, including tools. Where possible avoid sharing tools or any other equipment. Ask volunteers to bring their own tools and water bottle or cup and take them home again
- Prominent signage with the advice provided above should be displayed at the community garden.