The Darebin Seed Library is coming soon!
As part of Darebin City Council’s Sustainable Food program, we are developing a community seed sharing project which aims to build local food resilience by helping gardeners to grow, save and share open-pollinated, heirloom and local seeds. We will be installing Little Seed Library boxes in community gardens across Darebin where you can borrow, return and share seeds in the community.
How it works:
- Seed savers can take seeds from the library to grow at home or at your community garden (max 3 packets per household).
- Leave at least one plant to go to seed, then collect and return saved seed to the seed library at the end of the season.
- Seed donations are welcome. Please only share organically grown, open-pollinated, heirloom or local seeds with the library.
Locations are planned for:
- Sylvester Hive Community Garden, corner of Dean and Gray Streets, Preston – OPEN NOW
- Alphington Community Centre, 2 Kelvin Grove, Alphington – OPEN NOW
- Newton Street Community Garden, 9 Newton Street Reservoir – OPEN NOW
- Jika Jika Community Centre, 1B Plant Street Northcote – OPEN NOW
- Northcote Library, Separation Street Northcote – OPEN NOW
- We are looking for host gardens in Fairfield, Thornbury and Bundoora
Seed saving resources and workshops will be provided to help teach you the skills you need to save seeds. We ran our first free online Seed Saving workshop on Saturday 29 August, presented by local seed saving expert, Kat Lavers. If you missed the workshop, you can watch the recording here.
Seed Saver Champions – we want to hear from you! If you would like to share stories of your special variety heirloom seeds, please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
7 thoughts on “Darebin Seed Library is coming soon!”
How fabulous! what a great idea!! My friend just spontaneously started a ‘seed and seedling share in the north ‘o FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/353367192710902/?multi_permalinks=356759422371679¬if_id=1599790909684595¬if_t=group_activity&ref=notif
I put a link to this site on there!
Hi Patsy, thank you so much for sharing the seed library with your Facebook group! We would love to have more local gardeners borrowing and returning seeds to the library. The more people are involved, the greater the diversity of seeds will be shared within the community! Kind regards, Natalie, Darebin Council
Hi, confused, how do we get involved in the seed library?
Hi Kelly, thanks for your interest in the Darebin Seed Library. Three seed libraries are now open to the community in Preston, Alphington and Reservoir (with more to be installed in Northcote next year). You are most welcome to start borrowing seeds to grow in your garden at home – please just remember to return saved seed at the end of the season. Each library is stocked with sustainable gardening info sheets and seed saving packets for your convenience. Good luck with your planting! Kind regards, Natalie, Darebin Council
This is so wonderful! I desperately need some chives seeds.
This is awesome! Will it be running through lockdown?
Hi Vanessa, all of the seed libraries are contactless and running throughout lockdown except for the Northcote Library. Feel free to borrow and return seeds through these seed exchange boxes.