Happy World Bee Day, a day to appreciate our hard-working little pollinators! To celebrate, Darebin Council has stocked their local Seed Libraries with bee-friendly seeds which you can grow to provide valuable food sources for native bees and other pollinators in your garden.
In the seed libraries you will find a special “Bee Mix” which contain bees favourite colours such as borage (blue / purple), calendula and dill (yellow), and herbs such as lemon balm (white) and hollyhocks and salvia (pink) flowers.
To grow this special mix:
- Sprinkle seeds 15cm apart directly into garden beds or pots, then tickle in with your hands to ensure good seed to soil contact.
- Water well and watch the flowers bloom and the bees buzz in your garden.
Our seed libraries can be found here:
- Alphington Community Centre, 2 Kelvin Grove, Alphington
- Jika Jika Community Centre, 1B Plant Street Northcote (corner Plant and Union Street)
- Newton Street Community Garden, 9 Newton Street Reservoir
- Northcote Library Food Garden, Separation Street Northcote
- Sylvester Hive Community Garden, corner of Dean and Gray Streets, Preston
Check out the World Bee Day website to find local events, tours, talks, markets and waggle dances!