In Australia, approximately 20% of household food bought is thrown away, which equates to 1 out of every 5 bags of groceries wasted. This figure increases by up to 30% at Christmas!
Reducing food waste will not just save you money, time and stop good food from going to waste, it’s also a great way to help reduce our impact on climate change.
Here are our top tips this festive season:
• Use up food from your freezer the week before to make space for leftovers
• Count your party guests and allocate them with dishes to bring, to take the guesswork out of what and how much to buy
• Shop smart, write your festive shopping list and stick to it!
• Check the shelf life of the food you are buying and the space you have for keeping it fresh
• Ask your guests to bring containers and take leftovers home
• Store your leftovers in the fridge/freezer ASAP
• Share food with friends and neighbours if you know you’ll be going away
Check out the Darebin Council website for more information about minimising food waste in the home.